The best athletic tape should be comfortable and waterproof to stay on your skin, no matter how strenuous the activity. Physix Gear Sport’s adhesive tape fulfills both of these requirements. Plus, it comes in a myriad of appealing colors. Keep reading to learn more about some of the best athletic wrap tapes on the market.
Whether you are an athlete or just trying to make the most out of your day, athletic tape is great for supporting weak or injured muscles. Taping also restricts joint movement and reduces inflammation by compressing soft tissue.
Made from cotton or synthetic material, many athletic tapes are highly durable and waterproof. Take a look at our guide to the best athletic tapes, and protect yourself from injury.
Our Top Picks
The 7 Best Athletic Tapes
Best Choice: Adhesive Tape by Physix Gear Sport
Available in ten colors, this athletic tape stays in place for days, even during strenuous activity and showers. Made from synthetic four-way stretch fibers, it features backing with a one-centimeter line cutting guide.
Once removed, this tape leaves no sticky residue. Plus, it comes with an 82-page illustrated e-Guide about taping strategies and tips, as well as a money-back guarantee.
- Available in 10 colors
- Made from synthetic fibers
- 4-way stretch
- Comes with an E-guide
- 1-centimeter cutting guide
- Stays on for days
- Leaves no residue
- Money-back guarantee
- Small family business
- May cause skin irritations
- Not as adhesive as some other athletic tapes
Top Performance: Kinesiology Sports Tape by KT Tape
Made from synthetic fibers, this KT athletic tape comes in both uncut and pre-cut rolls. It is available in a variety of appealing colors and designs and features a reflective print to keep you safe after. Plus, it is latex-free, highly adhesive, and comes with rounded corners to stop fraying.
- Uncut or precut
- Made from synthetic fibers
- Reflective print
- Multiple colors and designs
- Rounded corners
- Stays on for days
- Resistant to water and sweat
- Box dispenser
- Higher price point
- Some reviewers reported that this tape does not stay on
Can’t Count Out: Water-Resistant Kinesiology Tape by RockTape
Used by athletes and non-athletes alike, this athletic wrap tape is ideal for treating plantar fasciitis, shin splints, and runner’s knee. The latex-free and hypoallergenic tape is made from a blend of synthetic fabric and cotton to move with the skin. Plus, it comes with detailed instructions to help you get the most out of taping.
- High-grade adhesive
- Latex-free and hypoallergenic
- Continuous roll or pre-cut strips
- Made with synthetic fabric and cotton
- Comes with instructions
- Repels moisture
- Flexible to move with the skin
- Preferred tape of medical practitioners
- Comes in multiple colors and designs
- May not stay on
- Can cause allergic reactions
The Other Athletic Tapes We Reviewed
Kinesiology Tape by Vive Health
Ideal for sprained ankles, hamstring strains, knee and back pain, and runner’s knee, this pink athletic tape is made from flexible cotton material. It is latex-free and hypoallergenic to minimize the risk of skin irritations and stays on for up to five days. On the downside, this tape only comes in one color.Buy on Amazon
Kinesiology Tape for Sports and Recovery by Spartan Tape
Designed to increase blood circulation, and reduce discomfort and inflammation, this flexible KT athletic tape prevents injury and speeds up recovery. It is latex-free and waterproof and designed to stay on between three and five days.
Plus, it comes with a 41-page manual. Unfortunately, this tape can be hard to remove from the skin.Buy on Amazon
White Athletic Sports Tape by Hampton Adams
This three-pack of white athletic tape is made from zinc-oxide cotton. It is latex-free and ultra-strong but can also be easily torn by hand—simply pinch it and tear.
This product is non-elastic and comes with a 60-day money-back guarantee. On the downside, some users have complained that this tape peels off when in contact with sweat.Buy on Amazon
Beige Kinesiology Tape by Mighty-X
Made from a latex-free nylon blend, this colored athletic tape stays on for between five and seven days. It will not fray during use and wicks away moisture to keep you dry after workouts.
Plus, it comes with links to 35 instructional videos. Unfortunately, some users have complained that this product is not elastic enough and tugged on their skin.Buy on Amazon
What Does Athletic Tape Do
Designed to move and stretch along with you, athletic tape supports muscles and alleviates pain without restricting movement. Once placed over the skin, the athletic tape creates tiny folds in the skin, making it recoil slightly from the deeper tissue.
This slight separation increases blood circulation and movement of lymphatic fluid and stops muscles from sending pain signals to the brain.
How to Use Athletic Tape
Athletic tape usually stays on between three and five days, depending on its quality and area of application. Here are a few tips to help you get the most out of your athletic wrap tape.
- Discuss taping with your doctor if you suffer from circulatory problems.
- Apply the tape approximately an hour before activity.
- Do not place tape over sunburn skin or fresh scars.
- Do not apply tape to areas with eczema, psoriasis, or dermatitis.
- Clean your skin before applying tape, especially if you use moisturizer.
- Avoid applying tape to wrinkled skin.
- Do not overstretch the tape during application as this may cause skin irritations.
- Remove the tape immediately if you feel pins and needles or any numbness.
- Use baby oil to remove the tape from your skin.
What to Look for in Athletic Tape
Not all KT athletic tapes have been created equal. Here are just a few features to think about before investing in athletic wrap tape.
- While cotton tape is more breathable, tape made from synthetic material is usually more adhesive.
- Waterproof tape is better for strenuous activity, as it does not come off with sweat or during showers.
- Select pre-cut strips for easy handling or uncut tape for a customized fit.
- If you opt for uncut tape, you may wish to select one that has a cutting guide on the back.
- If you will be training outdoors, opt for KT athletic tape with a reflective print to make yourself easily visible after dark.
Weighing All the Factors
Whether you require muscle support to run a marathon or simply remain active, Physix Gear Sport’s adhesive tape is a great investment. Designed to improve performance and speed up healing, it comes in a variety of colors and leaves no nasty residue after removal. KT Tape’s kinesiology tape and RockTape’s water-resistant kinesiology tape also come with their own strengths, making them some of the best muscle support choices on the market.